Fiľakovo

Fiľakovo

Accommodation

Restaurants and catering

Places of interest

Tourist trails and educational paths

Recommended cycling routes

Free time activities

Sightseeing

 

Gallery

 

fulekvara

 

Fiľakovo

Fiľakovo is a small town with a rich past. First mentioned in written records in the first half of the 13th century, it was granted the town privileges in 1423 (under the name “Oppidum Fylek”). For many centuries, its history had been firmly linked with the local castle. The enamelware factory, established in 1908, spurred the development of Fiľakovo (and its neighbourhood as well), and turned it into a flourishing industrial town with vibrant cultural life. Sadly, the end of the 20th century brought about a severe decline. Development initiatives are now being implemented to make the town a modern and attractive tourist destination.

 

Road transport

Fiľakovo is located at the road no. 71, its 30 km stretch connects the slovak-hungarian border crossing at Šiatorská Bukovinka – Salgótarján with the main transit route E571 Zvolen – Košice nearby Lučenec.Travellers can get to Fiľakovo by other local routes.  There are several TAXI companies operating in Fiľakovo.

 

Train connections

Fiľakovo is located on the railway Zvolen - Košice. Direct connections are from towns and villages lying on the mentioned track, and also from Rimavská Sobota. All trains, including express trains, have a stop at the main station. The next stop “Fiľakovo – zastávka” near the bus station serves only for slow trains.  Airport connections The nearest airport is in Sliač, 72 km away. International airport code: SLD 

 

Accommodation

 

BEBEK Panzion and restaurant**

Podhradská 600, 986 01 Fiľakovo,  

+421 907 760400 http://www.penzionbebek.sk/

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Kállai Wine Bar & Guesthouse**

Šávoľská cesta 2113, 98601 Fiľakovo,

+421 907 347543 http://www.kallai.georgica.sk/,

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  

Student Dormitory at Secondary Technical School

Kalinčiakova 1584/8, 986 01 Fiľakovo

+421 47 451196971, +421 904182688

http://technifi.sk/jupgrade/index.php/sk/ubytovanie

Igor Fukasz – Private Accommodation

Daxnerova 12, 986 01 Fiľakovo

+421 905 634930

Pepita – Bed & Breakfast*

Kpt. Nálepku 5, 986 01 Fiľakovo,  

+421 908 631712

 

Restaurants and catering

 

Anna Villa Pizzeria Bageteria Fiľakovo

Kvetná 1, Fiľakovo  

+421 0908 876666/ 0908 501050

Victory Restaurant

Biskupická ul. 46, Fiľakovo

+421 47 4381113, +421 918 456595

BEBEK Panzion and Restaurant**

Podhradská 600, 986 01 Fiľakovo,  

+421 907 760400, +421 905 766746

http://www.penzionbebek.sk/

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Nostalgia Restaurant

Hlavná 3, Fiľakovo

+421 905 892678

Cool Kebab

Hlavná 29, Fiľakovo

+421 907 700445

Bistro PARK

Záhradnícka 4, Fiľakovo

+421 0907 606234

Europa Bar

Koháryho námestie 6, Fiľakovo

ROUTE 66

Rázusova 5, Fiľakovo

+421 950 316977

Pizza CIAO

Námestie padlých hrdinov 659/1, Fiľakovo

+421 944 800388

Pizza LAURA – ZARA

Družstevná 924/50, Fiľakovo

+421 917 033667, 0917 033655

 

Places of interest

 

Fiľakovo Castle and the Castle Museum

Hlavná ul. 14, 986 01 Fiľakovo

information for visitors: e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., mobil: +421 907 640700

Opening times:

15th March - 31st October: Sunday – Saturday: 10 am – 6 pm                                                        

1st November - 15th November: Sunday – Saturday: 8 am – 4 pm

The castle is closed outside tourist season.

http://www.hradfilakovo.sk/

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.,

tel.: +421 918 975634, +421 47 4382017

The Town Museum

Hlavná 14, 986 01 Fiľakovo

Opening times:

Tue – Fri: 8 am – 4 pm (all year round)

http://www.hradfilakovo.sk/index.php/organizacne-zlozky/mestske-vlastivedne-muzeum

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., tel.: +421 47 4382619

 

Tourist trails and educational paths

 

1. Fiľakovo – Belina rocks (Belinské skaly): distance 9km / elevation 270m / duration 2 h. 20 min. / difficulty – medium / yellow sign 2. Fiľakovo - Belina rocks (Belinské skaly) - Monosa - Obručná – Mačacia – Šomoška Castle (hrad Šomoška) - Šiatorská Bukovinka: 25 km / 850m / 7:00 h. / difficulty – hard / yellow, red, green signs 

  1. Fiľakovo - Belina rocks (Belinské skaly) - Monica – Monica sedlo – Owl Castle ruins (Soví hrad): 24km / 720m / 6:25 h. / difficulty – hard / yellow sign
  2. Fiľakovo - Belina rocks (Belinské skaly) - Monica – Sedlo Garád – Pagan Castle (Pohanský hrad) – Tilič – Hajnáčka Castle ruins (Hajnáčsky hrad): 21km / 750m / 5:50 h. /difficulty – hard / yellow, red, green signs
  3. Fiľakovo – Bučeň – Educational path to Veľké Dravce: 14km / 390m / 3:30h. / yellow, red, green signs
  4. Fiľakovo – Bučeň – Nad Čentou – Dúžava – Recreation Center Kurinec, Zelená voda (rekreačné stredisko) - Rimavská Sobota: 29km / 620m / 7:25 h. / difficulty – hard / red sign
  5. Educational path up the Fiľakovo castle hill: 300m / 88m / difficulty - easy

8. Educational path in the Fiľakovo City Park: 400 m/ difficulty - easy

  

Recommended cycling routes

 

  1. Fiľakovo – Ratka – Rapovce – Mučín – Pleš – Šikov – Galamba – Pod Mazou – Fiľakovo:

   32 km / 270m / difficulty – medium

  1. Fiľakovo – Ratka – Šikov – Galamba – Pod Mazou – Fiľakovo:

 15 km / 250m / difficulty - medium

Free time activities

 

The Novohrad Tourist and Information Centre

Podhradská u. 1985/14 98601 Fiľakovo

Opening: Mo – Fri   8 am – 4 pm

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

tel.: +421 918 994 481, tel./fax.:+421 (0)47 4382016

Municipal Cultural Centre

Námestie slobody 3, 986 01 Fiľakovo

http://www.kultura.filakovo.sk/

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

tel.: +421 47 3337132, +421 950 689610

 

Sightseeing

 

Fiľakovo Castle

 

The earliest stages of construction of the stone castle on a steep volcanic rock, begun by the Kacsics family, probably pre-date the Mongol Invasions. Its first written record, dated to 1242, lists Fiľakovo Castle as one of seventeen strongholds in which the nobility was to take refuge from the Mongol raiders. . In 1682, the castle was besieged and burnt down by Ottomans allied with the anti-Habsburg rebel forces of Imre Thököly, and was never restored again.

The preserved castle ruins are now open to the public, and since 2008 the Castle Museum has been installed in the restored Bebek Tower. In 1554, the castle was seized by Ottoman forces and made Fiľakovo for almost forty years the capital of the northernmost sanjak of the Ottoman Empire. In November 1593, a campaign to re-capture it was launched by Christoph Tieffenbach, Zsigmond Rákóczi and István Báthory, but the siege didn’t begin until arrival of Miklós Pálffy’s reinforcements. The Ottomans then surrendered and 2,400 Muslims left the town. In the 17th century, the castellan post was held by several illustrious members of Hungarian nobility, such as Tamás Bosnyák, Ferenc Wesselényi, István Koháry I and István Koháry II. In 1682, the castle was besieged and burnt down by Ottomans allied with the anti-Habsburg rebel forces of Imre Thököly, and was never restored again.

The preserved castle ruins are now open to the public, and since 2008 the Castle Museum has been installed in the restored Bebek Tower.

The Parish Church Devoted of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and the Franciscan Monastery

The construction of the church with its present-day Baroque design of 1694-1728 was funded by István Koháry II, the last castellan of Fiľakovo Castle. The church has a single nave, a vestibule at the west, and a presbytery with polygonal rear at the east. Its tower stands, rather atypically, at the north-east side of the nave. The interior walls and the barrel-vaulted ceiling with lunettes are richly decorated with frescoes. While the brickwork choir, the high altar and both side altars are made in the Baroque style, other minor altars are adorned with early-Baroque and Rococo artwork. Baroque figures are also placed in the niches above the entrance. In 1907, a sculpture of St Anne was erected on the small square facing the church.

The construction of the two-storey building of the Franciscan Monastery with three wings and a central courtyard, flanking the church from the north-west, was also sponsored by István Koháry II. In the early 18th century, a library with a collection of precious books was founded in the monastery

The Berchtold Manor House

Built probably in the late 18th century as a residence of Count Antal Berchtold IV, born in Tyrol, the manor house later became property of the Stephani and the Herold families. After 1945, it housed the District Office and a civil engineering school. Since 1971, the building has been used as a grammar school (for both Slovak and Hungarian-speaking students). Although much of its original Baroque design has been lost due to multiple rebuildings, the ground floor still contains Baroque vaulted ceilings and woodwork decorations. The estate included a fenced English landscape park, with a population of wild red deer and roe deer. A part of the park has been preserved.

The Town Park and the Mini-ZOO

Established on the site of the former Turkish gardens, the park acquired its present shape in the 19th century by conversion of the area into the landscape park of the Berchtold Manor House. Besides indigenous vegetation, the park contains a lot of foreign tree species. Its visitor attractions include a children’s play area in the shadow of magnificent trees, and a small ZOO.

 

The Stephani Mausoleum

On a low hill known as “the Small Graveyard”, a mausoleum of the Stephanis, an aristocratic family, was built in the Neoclassical style in 1896. The area is now fenced, so the tomb can be only viewed from the road leading to the railway station.

The Manor House of István Koháry II

The Baroque manor house was built by István Koháry II in the early 18th century, when he also funded the construction of the Church Devoted to Holy Mary´s Assumption. When the Koháry family died out, the Fiľakovo manor passed into hands of the House of Coburg, a prominent aristocratic dynasty. The building was later owned by several wealthy local farmer families, but eventually it was abandoned and fell into disrepair. Since 2004 it has been used as the headquarters of the 47th Scout Group of István Koháry, to which it was donated by the Görőcs family, its last owners. The Scouts repaired the collapsing roof and began with restoration of the interior too. Thanks to their hard effort and commitment, four rooms of the house have been restored. Its finest surviving indoor elements are stuccoed Prussian vaults and a large cellar with lunette vaults.

Accessibility: The manor house is not open to the public.

 

 

The Cebrián Manor House

The manor house was built in 1847 by Ferenc Cebrián, the grandson of Count Antal Cebrián- Figuerollas, born in Spain. The single-storey Neoclassical building with columned arcades on the narrower sides is flanked by two outbuildings, and was formerly surrounded by a fine park, which has, sadly, lost all its splendour by now. One of its last owners was Mária Cebrián. After her death in 1931 the building served for several decades as a hospital, and later as an outpatient clinic.    Accessibility: The estate has been disused and closed since it became a private property in 2006.

The Municipal Office Building – the Town Hall

The construction of the Town Hall, designed in the Vienna Secession style by Pál Schmidt, an architect from Lučenec, began in April 1911 and ended on 29th June 1912. Originally, it also housed the Volunteer Fire Service station, a number of shops (such as a BAŤA shoe retail) and, after World War II, the District Office as well. Following the 1949 restoration, the Municipal Library was set up on the ground floor. The peculiar small turret on the roof was formerly used as a watchtower by the firemen. The building is now the seat of the Municipal Administration.

The Town Museum – the Reduta Hall

The Concert Hall (known as the Reduta), built at the turn of the 19th century, had always been a hotspot of the town’s social and cultural life. Besides being a venue of meetings of cultural or professional associations, the building also included a tavern, casino and an upper primary school. After 1967, it became the seat of the Lučenec District Heritage Museum (later re-named the Novohrad Museum of Fiľakovo). Till 2011, the building housed the Municipal Culture Centre and nowadays it houses the Town Museum exhibition. The Reduta Hall is now home of the Municipal Library too


Fiľakovo has many memorials and memorial tables that point to significant historical events and personalities of the city such as the bust of Viliam Hulita, the St. Urban´s wayside shrine, Memorial to the Lost Jewish Community and the Stumbling Stones set into street pavement to commemorate the Holocaust victims.

© 2018 HG